Telecommunication and digital infrastructure has been identified as two of the key areas that would define the future of the nation. The ministry is in the process of setting up future plans regarding telecommunication and digital infrastructure of the country.
The vision, strategies and the roadmap will help the citizens to enhance their living standards and quality of life.
Transformation of the Ministry
- Ministry of Telecommunication and Information Technology (Since 22.11.2010 to 17.01.2015)
- Telecommunication and IT Division in Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( Since 18.01.2015 to 03.09.2015 )
- Ministry of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure (Since 04.09.2015)
Vision and Mission
Vision of the Digital Infrastructure Division
To be the excellent policy maker, facilitator and promoter in digitalization of Sri Lanka by 2025
Vision of Foreign Employment Division
Facilitator for making Sri Lanka the regional leader for supplying skilled human resources for the global employment market
Mission of the Ministry
To deliver an efficient, high quality service with global standards, in line with national policies to support a digitally empowered nation and to contribute to the national economy by providing skilled human resources globally by fulfilling aspirations of citizens and stakeholders with high integrity and by ensuring good governance.
Mission of the Digital Infrastructure Division
To formulate, monitor and evaluate appropriate policies, programmes and projects to fulfill the aspirations of all stakeholders for making Sri Lanka a digitally empowered nation.
Mission of the Foreign Employment Division
To formulate, monitor and evaluate appropriate policies, programmes and projects to fulfill the aspirations of all stakeholders by promoting competent human resources for foreign employment opportunities and overall development of families of migrant workers.
Institutions under the purview of the Ministry
Institutions under the purview of the Ministry as per Extraordinary Gazette No. 1933/13 dated 21.09.2015
- SLT, Mobitel
- All information technology parks
- Department of telecommunications (under liquidation)
Subjects and Functions of the Ministry as per the Extraordinary
- Formulation of policies, programs and projects, monitoring and evaluation in regard to the subjects of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure
- Take necessary measures for the provision of telecommunication facilities for all by adoption of modern technology
- Assist in adopting appropriate information technological solutions for promoting productivity and efficiency in the delivery of services by the public sector
- Implementation of programs for promotion of computer literacy
- Development of strategies to encourage the use of Information and Communication Technology
- Matters relating to all other subjects assigned to the Institutions listed under the Ministry
- Supervision of the Institutions listed under the Ministry
Acts to be implemented by the Ministry
- Information and Communication Technology Act No. 27 of 2003, and Information and Communication Technology Act (Amendment) No. 33 of 2008.
- Electronic Transactions Act No. 19 of 2006
- Digitalization of Economy by Promotion of the development of ICT industry and Promotion of use of digital technologies in other sectors for higher effectiveness.
- Improve the digital infrastructure of Sri Lanka for facilitating the enhancement of digital ecosystem.
- Enhance ICT policies, legislation and standards.
- Improve citizen’s engagement/participation in ICT enabled society.
- Utilize ICT for improving the good governance.